#49 - Creative Critical Reflection 3

 


Hello blog!

Today's blog will be my response to Creative Critical Response Question 3. The following are the link to the Animaker video and the video's transcript.


Video Transcript:

Scene 1 [0:00]
Hello, my name is Janaysa Dorcin. My candidate number is 0515, and my center number is US154. In this presentation, I will be answering compulsory question three for the Cambridge International AS Level Media Studies course.

Scene 2 [0:19]
Compulsory Question 3 is, “How did your production skills develop throughout this project?”

Scene 3 [0:27]
To begin, I had very little experience with photography, graphic design, and media production before I started this project. My skills in writing a story or article were also very rudimentary. Apart from technical skills, I did not know the terminology necessary to communicate in the realm of media. However, through completing this project, my skills have only increased, and my weaknesses in the beginning became my biggest improvements.

Scene 4 [0:57]
Some of the skills and concepts I learned include camera shots and angles, utilizing lighting and color to make my photos better, formatting content on Canva and writing for magazines and other forms of media. This learning is evident when comparing my preliminary tasks to my final magazine product. The preliminary tasks were a way to expose myself to the software and techniques I would be utilizing in my final magazine product. Through these, I had room to make mistakes when implementing the camera and editing techniques or standard conventions, and to learn how to fix them.

Scene 5 [1:37]
Now, I want to analyze my preliminary task pages and my final product. I will start with the cover pages.

Scene 6 [1:45]
The first major difference between the preliminary and final cover pages is that I chose not to use shallow focus. The background of the final cover page is much clearer, and feels more natural and organic than the blurred backgrounds of the preliminary cover pages. Another major difference between the pages are the coverlines. The coverlines in the preliminary cover pages are in colors that may be hard to read against those backgrounds. The coverlines on the final product, however, are easier to read against the background. The blocks under some of the coverlines also help to make them easier to read, and I did not realize the benefit of this technique until I had finished my preliminary cover pages. Also, the masthead of the final product is easier to differentiate and is more legible than those of the preliminary cover pages. Yet another difference between the preliminary and final products are that the preliminary cover pages are missing prices, which the final product has. Additionally, the preliminary cover pages look boring and amateur. The final product looks more sophisticated and complements the magazine product in its entirety. Overall, the final product displays a desire to look professional and sophisticated.

*The following images are displayed.*

            


Scene 7 [3:03]
Next, let’s analyze my preliminary and final table of contents pages.

Scene 8 [3:12]
At first glance, there are some big differences between my first table of contents and my final one. In the very first page, I did not put any summaries under the articles. In my second and final pages, though, I have added these summaries. The font in the first preliminary table of contents is also harder to read, and the page looks very plain and boring. In my revised preliminary page and final page, the font is much clearer. Also, they both have a much cleaner, organized look. Even more, the pictures have added context to them in the final table of contents page, which is a quality found in many professional magazines. The names of the articles featured in the final page are more creative than those found in both preliminary pages, which displays that there was much more attention to detail in the production of the final page. In the revised preliminary table of contents page, the font of the articles are the same as the masthead. I changed this in the final product, and instead used a complementary font for the articles to create a sense of variety. Overall, my final table of contents page is a cleaner, more organized, and professional looking version of my revised preliminary table of contents.

*The following images are displayed.*

              

Scene 9 [4:37]
Lastly, let’s analyze my double page spreads.

Scene 10 [4:44]
The transformation from my first preliminary double page spread to my final page displays my growth in terms of taking creative liberties. In the preliminary spreads, I played with the idea of the main image not taking up an entire page, but I took it to a different level in my final spread. Both my first preliminary spread and my final spread have cutouts of my model, but my final spread utilizes it better. In the final spread, the words curve around the image, making it the center of the spread. This is a much more creative choice than simply putting the cut-out to the side. The final spread has a better developed tagline, and incorporates more pictures, which also adds visual variety to the spread. I used captions in both my revised preliminary spread and my final spread, and keeping this feature was meant to add variety to the page and fill any unflattering empty space. Even more, the feature story is longer, and better written than the feature story in my revised preliminary spread. Lastly, the colors in the final spread (font, pictures, and background) complement each other better than those in the preliminary spreads.

*The following images are displayed.*
Scene 11 [6:00]
My name is Janaysa Dorcin, candidate number 0515, center number US154. Thank you.








References
Graphic created in Canva
Video created by Janaysa Dorcin for the purposes of this course

Comments

Popular Posts