#35 - Feature Story Writing Practice

Good morning blog!

We're deep into practicing and preparing for my magazine! This time, I'm working on interviewing subjects and writing a feature lead. For this practice, I interviewed my classmate Steven. Afterwards, I wrote a lead and the introduction to a feature lead based on the information I got. Check it out below!


My Interview with Steven

How do you see yourself as a person? What shaped that view?
I see myself as a growing person, I believe I’m learning each day and there’s new lessons to learn every day. Adversities shaped that view - relationships, friends disappointing me, and working at the lowest tier. I started from the bottom - no generational wealth, I wasn’t born into a rich family, and I had to do things on my own. I’m a hustler, a “hustle junkie”.

Who is your greatest role model and why?

LeBron James; he’s never gotten into any conflict, has always chased his goals, never let adversity get in the way of achieving goals and being the best in the game, supported the community and is a positive inspiration to young kids.

What’s a lesson from LeBron James’ life that you can apply to yours?
Not a typical winning character - James has a 4-6 record, he loses. When he does he gets back and works towards his goals, he doesn't give up.

What is your favorite memory? What makes it stand out?
Senior basketball game night. The vibes were good, everyone was supporting the school team, supporting their favorite player, there was peace and goodwill, no bad energy, and we won. I felt school spirit. School spirit helps people come together and not be alone. Everyone is in something together as a whole.

Are you going to college? Where do you plan to go and study? Why?
Yes; I plan to attend FAMU and study physical therapy. I chose what I like to do with how I performed in school. As a person, I’ve had moments where I had clashes with who I am and I want to help people get the best help possible.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
I see myself still in university getting a doctorate in physical therapy.

Do you have a passion for sports?
I do have a passion for sports and people putting their all into their body and athleticism; I like competing with others and enjoying the experiences (wins and losses), like how football is a chess game and every position matters.

Describe yourself in 3 words. Why did you choose them?
Spontaneous, tenacious, inquisitive. I like to “pop out” and sometimes people think too much. Sometimes we should just do it instead of wait. Each month has its a new issue for me to handle and a test of will for me - will I rise to the occasion or fall down? I’m a small person in a big world, so much for me to learn and find out and see.


Lead and Second Paragraph
"I'm a small person in a big world."

Straddling the line between two worlds, teenage life and adulthood, Steven Mompoint faces an important chapter in his life. What has his life meant so far? How will he leave his mark on the world? 

Steven is a senior in high school, and after being in school for nearly 13 years, he is ready to graduate. However, it is important to also take a look back on the life and experiences he has had thus far to gain a clearer idea of where he is headed. Steven's life has been marked with adversity, like starting "from the bottom" in an immigrant family. The challenges that he faces being a first-generation American has turned him into a "hustle junkie" (as he puts it), and has pushed him to work for the things he wants.




Comments

Popular Posts