#22 - Revised Preliminary Double Page Spread Analysis

 

Hellooooo blog!

Time to analyze the last part of my preliminary task (but this is seriously the last time), the double page spread. As per usual, here's the graphic I'll be structuring my analysis with. There are some things that I did that are similar to my first double page spread, but some changes as well.


First, let’s talk about the article itself. For this revision, I made the blog about an actual student, rather than someone I’ve never met. It feels more authentic, and would draw in more of my intended audience (high school upperclassmen) because of how relatable it is. I interviewed my friend Joanna, and made the focus all about her experience in school currently. The picture of her that I used is a mid shot taken from a slightly high angle. I took this picture as a mid shot to show both Joanna and her surroundings, which was a courtyard at my school. I feel the setting was perfect considering the topic of the magazine and article, so I wanted to make sure to show it off. I took it from a slightly high angle to ensure Joanna and her sitting position could be seen clearly, and wouldn't be overshadowed or blocked by the laptop. It also looked better considering that I took this picture some distance away from Joanna.

Now, we can break down the technical elements of the spread. Starting with the title, I made sure that it was spread across both pages. This was so the pages could look connected in a way that made sense. Also, for the title section, I used two fonts: one from the cover and one new one. The new font looks more playful but is still somewhat similar to the font from the cover. I didn't want the title to look too out of place, so I used the font from the cover right below it. Speaking of using elements from previous pages, I used the background color of the table of contents page as the background for this spread. I guess I'm just a sucker for cohesiveness.

Lastly, let's get into the juice of this spread: how I presented the article. The article is written in yet another new font, which separates it from the title but looks similar to it still. The text is spread across both pages, showing how I fully embraced the lack of restrictions provided by a double page spread. To break up the text, I used attractive/inspirational quotes from the article. They could draw readers' attention, and use the same font from the cover too!

Also, at the the bottom of the spread, I used page numbers. Can't forget the obligatory feature of a real magazine!

That wraps up all my revisions! What did you think? What was your favorite change? Let me know down below!




References

Graphics created in Canva

Comments

Popular Posts