#15 - Preliminary Task: Double Page Spread Explanation

 

Helloooooooo!!! 

It's time to analyze the last element of my preliminary task! I've made a graphic that I'll structure this analysis with. 


First, I spread the title out over both pages to get better use of the top area. I initially had this spread as one side for the title and the other for the text, but it didn't look as appealing as I thought it would be. I did utilize half of the left side for text, but the other half contains a picture of "Dean Berg" (I've never actually met Dean Berg, so it's really a picture of my friend Joanna, also taken on the UM tour). The original picture was a long-shot photo, but I removed the background so the picture could fit in better with the rest of the spread. Also, I used a quote from the real Dean Berg (who's actually the Dean of the school of music at UM, fun fact!) as though it was part of the article. I think it makes the spread look full and complete, and I will be doing that again in my final project.

Additionally, I included some elements from the table of contents and cover page for consistency. The color of the page and some of the title font is what I had on the two other pages, and I think it makes all the pages look really cohesive. Also, I especially wanted this color as the spread's background because there's a sticker, which is this color, mentioning this article on the cover. I also put a page number on the bottom of the left side that correlates with the page number from the table of content. Small details matter!

Now, let's talk about some changes I made. As I mentioned in my table of contents explanation blog, I'm looking for a font that will be cute but still legible at a small size, and the new font I used is checking all the boxes! I may use it in my final product too! I originally had text on only one side, as aI mentioned earlier, but I incorporated more text space for aesthetics. Also, I didn't want to overwhelm the pages with text, so I kept the space minimal.

Overall, I really like the end result of my spread! I was inspired by a few double page spreads I saw, but I let my creative side run free and created something that goes well with the vibe and topic of my magazine.

Thanks for coming on this journey with me! Have you ever made a double page spread before? Let me know down below! 

See you next time!



References

Graphics created in Canva

Quote sourced from: https://www.frost.miami.edu/about-us/leadership/index.html 


Comments

Popular Posts