#13 - Preliminary Task: Table of Contents Explanation

 

Hi all! Welcome back!

Today, we're breaking down the table of contents I made for my preliminary task! This was the second part of the task, and probably the easiest part for me. Let's get into it!

Like my magazine cover explanation blog, I've created a graphic that I'll structure my analysis with. Here it is.


First, I made sure to include the same font and color from my magazine cover. I think it gives the magazine a more cohesive, less amateur look. I used a small text size to fit in a handful of articles and still have a balanced look. However, with some words/phrases, the font can be a little illegible. This problem could be fixed by increasing the font size, but I would have to sacrifice space on the page. In the future, I'll use a font that can stay small and still be legible and pretty. The color scheme is nice, and I would not be opposed to using a similar one in my final project.

Next, I used some more pictures from my UM tour to complement some of the articles. The shot of an area of the campus could be considered an establishing shot, and beautifully captures a relaxing part of campus. The picture of the statue is from an art gallery on campus, and fits in well with the "Campus Life" article it would be a part of. 

Lastly, I used features of a real magazine in this page, including page numbers on the photos and articles numbered by the page they would start on. In the future, I would include a short summary of the articles, so readers know what to expect from each one. I would also change the formatting of the page so the summary and article names would look good together. When I was making the table of contents, I didn't include that because they did not look appealing together. 

Overall, creating this table of contents was not very hard for me. I reviewed table of content pages from other magazines, but ultimately made one that felt unique to me. I would edit my formatting and change a few design choices, but I think this is a great first attempt. 

Thanks for tuning in! What's your favorite part of the page? Let me know down below!



References

Graphics created in Canva


Comments

Popular Posts