#8 - Photo Composition Techniques Pt. 2

 


Hey there!

Your favorite blogger is back to talk about some more photo composition techniques! Today, I'll be talking about depth of field (specifically deep and shallow focus) and focus pulls. Let's jump right into it!


Deep Focus

Deep focus is a composition technique in which all the elements of the image are all in sharp focus. This includes the subject, the forground, middleground, and background of the image, and utilizes a deep depth of field. For this photo, I placed my friends Nicky and Ramaria in a busy lounge at my school, and kept them and the background in full focus.



Shallow Focus

Shallow focus is a composition technique in which one part of an image is in focus while the rest of it is out of focus. This focus uses a shallow depth of field. For this picture, I used the portrait mode on my iPhone's camera to make the subject (my friend Sammy) focused while every other part of the picture is not focused.


Focus Pull

A focus pull is a composition technique in which the focus changes from one object in the image to another. For the photo on the left, I used the portrait mode on my iPhone's camera to keep the hall pass my classmate Mya is holding in focus while she was out of focus. For the photo on the right, I used the same camera mode to keep Mya in focus but the hall pass out of focus. 



The focus pulls were the hardest for me to pull off, but they still turned out really good! Everyday, my camera skills are getting better and better! Have you ever taken photos like these before?

Stay tuned to see what I learn next!


References

Graphic created in Canva

Photos included were taken by me for the purposes of this blog.

Comments

Popular Posts